February 18, 2011

Aloha!

It's no surprise that when you live in a cold climate that you crave some warm weather... So when I woke up to this and after 5 months of snow, I am ready for a change....

Instead of this:


I want to see this:
(source)

Maui has been on the mind lately... I would love to have my toes in the sand and to swim in the deep blue on this beach!

aaaannnndddd....


Apparently Bria is thinkin' about it too. How is it that she is already so smart?




She is creating the "shaka" with her hand...What is a "shaka" you ask? Well, I did some research because I always thought it was slang for gangs and hoodlums to use in Hawaii to say "Hey Brah!" and have believed that "Hang Loose" was something naughty to say, but in all actuality, it has a lot more meaning than that! Here is what I found:
(source)
"The shaka is a simple yet powerful way to remind locals and visitors of the way people look out for each other on the islands and strive to spread aloha day in and day out, in keeping with the Hawaiian principle of malama i kekahi i kekahi, - take care of one, take care of all. If you’re new to the islands, don’t be shy about throwing up shakas, just make sure you’ve got the hand gesture down first! Aloha in the Hawaiian language can mean love, hello, goodbye, affection, regards, fondness and compassion. The amazing “shaka” communicates all this and more with just a simple wave of the hand. "
(source)


So, we are ready to plan a vacation to the sweet, warm place called Maui!

Signature for blog...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...