February 21, 2011

The Adventures of Cloth Diapering


Even before Clint and I got pregnant, we both knew that we wanted to diaper our little one in cloth. There are many reasons, but the number one reason for me wanting to cloth diaper is that there are absolutely NO chemicals that are touching my baby's bum-and that in itself was reason enough for me. I also found out that cloth diapered babies have less diaper rash, fewer blowouts, and are often potty trained up to a year sooner. This lovely lady has some in-depth information on cloth diapering!!

Are you intrigued yet?

Here's more:


Did you know?

*Disposable diapers have traces of a toxic called Dioxin which is within the bleaching process of the paper within the diaper

*Disposable diapers are the third largest single consumer item in landfills.

*Consumer reports state that you will spend between $1500-$2000 on disposable diapers before your baby is potty trained

(all statistics are from this site) 

Okay. So I found out some reasons that going cloth will be better for our growing family than disposables. But then you get into what kind of diapers to get.

There are literally dozens of different kinds of diapers: AIO (all in ones), pocket, fitted, etc. You can read up on them here

For now, I am using all the cloth diapers I received from my Mom(!) She gave us:

(2) Flip diapers with cloth inserts (6) BumGenius pocket diapers.
All cloth diapers (with Bria's legs)
                              
                                     Bum Genius "pocket" diapers
                                               

The Flip diapers are called hybrid diapers because it come with an exterior shell and a cloth insert that can be taken out and washed while you can reuse the shell multiple times (unless, for obvious blow-out reasons). They also offer biodegradable disposable inserts for when you are away from home and don't want to carry around soiled inserts. The Flip diapers use snaps to close and can become very small.

The BumGenius Diapers are AIO (all-in-one) diapers that have a outer shell and then a "pocket" to put your cloth inserts into (see above picture). These also use velcro in order to close the diapers (which, I'm not a huge fan of velcro, but we'll see how they do). Both the outer shell and insert have to be washed after each use which means you probably would need more of these diapers than the Flip kind.


**Both of these diapers GROW with your baby meaning that once you buy the diaper they can be used until your baby is potty trained! So really, it's truly an investment. 



I have been wanting to order some of Kawaii Eco-Friendly Bamboo Minky and Minky diapers when they become available in the 2011 colors :). Also, I would like to order a couple of GroBaby ( now called GroVia) diapers as well as some FuzziBunz.



But for now, I will be using my Flip and BumGenius diapers until I can build up my "stash" of cloth diapers.

And now for some cuteness, because I know you were all waiting for it! It's so much better taking "naked baby" pictures with a cute colorful cloth diaper than a disposable!





Now all I need to do is create cloth wipes to use with the homemade wipes instead of paper towels!

Signature for blog...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...