January 16, 2012

What Do you Do in -40 degree Weather?

Since we came back from Christmas vacation, the weather has been ridiculously cold. I don't even know if I can describe it as just cold because it has been colder than that, if you could imagine! With the temperatures ranging from -40 to -20 (being the warmest) plus windchill, it has been so uncomfortable! It has been too cold for any of the snow machines to start, so we have been walking Bria to her babysitters everyday, which is rough and makes our morning even shorter than it already it, but at least she is comfy cozy underneath her 3 layers, 2 hats, 2 pairs of gloves, nice warm booties, plus a face mask and 2 blankets over her in her chariot stroller!

With it being chilly out we are getting a lot done around the house and with my craftiness! I have managed to keep the house clean, laundry done, beds made, floors swept and vacuumed. I even have time to play with B :) ... On top of that I have made 2 more crochet hats! I have to admit, I love crocheting a lot better than knitting for several reasons. 1) It's quicker, which means instant gratification! 2)It's easier on my hands because I'm working only 1 crochet hook instead of 2 knitting needles. 3)easier to follow crocheting patterns than knitting patterns!

Here are my creations with-of course-our beautiful model:

Toddler Hat with Pom-pom:

Bria loved it so much, she started dancing. No joke.

Just because she's beautiful!:

And here is my first adult hat, I am going to add flowers once I learn how to make 'em!: 

 Lookin' Good bright eyes!

This is going to be a long post...Again...Because I have another creation:

Amish White Bread


This is my go-to bread recipe from now on! I made two loaves on Saturday. It's now Monday night and we have 1/2 a loaf left!! Clint said that I need to make this every 3 days, and you know what? I think he's right!

Amish White Bread
adapted from allrecipes.com

2 cups warm water (110 degrees F)
1/4 cup white sugar
1 1/2 Tbs. active dry yeast
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup vegetable oil
5 cups bread flour**

1) In a large bowl, dissolve the sugar in warm water, and then stir in yeast. Allow to proof until yeast resembles a creamy foam.
2) Mix salt and oil into the yeast mixture. Mix in flour one cup at a time. Knead dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth. Place in a well oiled bowl, and turn dough to coat. Cover with a damp cloth (or plastic wrap) and allow to rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
3)Punch down dough. Knead for a minute. Divide in half. Shape into loaves and place into two, well oiled 9X5 inch loaf pans. Allow to rise for 30 minutes, or until dough has risen 1 inch above pan.
4) Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes
5) Once bread is done, cool in pan and then immediately turn bread upside down (it will be a little moist from the oil) to let dry.
6) ENJOY!

Luckily, the weather shows that it's warming up this week! It will be around -5 - 0 degrees!! The statement of the day is, "Man, it feels like a tropical heat wave!" ...Awwww... Life in rural Alaska!

We hope you are staying warm and cozy this winter :)

With love,
Signature for blog...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...