December 31, 2009

Kingdom Dojo!

  Alaska ABKA Martial Arts
White Mountain, Alaska

Dojo Kuden~Jozai Senjo  
                  "Always Present on the Battlefield of Life"
3 Virtues
COURAGE~FAITH~SERVICE


Over the last two years Clint has volunteered his time to teach Karate to our local community here in White Mountain. Our curriculum is based on the American Bushido Kai Karate Association (ABKA), which we have had the honor to represent here in Alaska. Bushido-Kai is made up of traditional Karate incorporating Shotokan Karate and Kyokushin Kai Karate. The ABKA is designed to nurture inner and outer strength, while building evangelism and discipleship. Clint is currently the Chief Instructor with a class of roughly 25 students participating in our program.


I (Tory) have been an active participant in the karate program since June 2011. I say "active participant" because I have always been involved with the program, just not participating in the karate portion of it. Since the Karate program started back in the fall of 2009, I was pregnant and obviously not in shape to do high kicks and spin around back hand punches :) ... I have very much enjoyed the karate program, not only have I enjoyed the amazing workout you get, I enjoy the spiritual aspect of Karate and I'm learning so much as I'm growing in my faith and also working towards getting my black belt!


Kingdom Karate Dojo Objectives
  • To strengthen spiritual relationships: To spend time in devotion and prayer. To be committed to the commandments of God.
  • To respect self and others: To respect myself, to affirm others and to avoid uncaring criticism, hateful words, physical attacks and self-destructive behavior.
  • To communicate better: To share my feelings honestly, to look for safe ways to express my anger, and to work at solving problems peacefully.
  • To listen: To listen carefully to one another, especially those who disagree with me, and to consider others’ feelings and needs rather than insist on having my own way.
  • To forgive: To apologize and make amends when I have hurt another, to forgive others, and to keep from holding grudges.
  • Respect nature: To treat the environment and all living things including our pets, with respect and care.
  • To play creatively: To select entertainment and toys that support our family’s values and to avoid entertainment that makes violence look exciting, funny or acceptable.
  • To be courageous: To challenge violence in all its forms whenever I encounter it, whether at home, at school, at work, or in the community, and to stand with others who are treated unfairly.
  • To build leadership: To instill positive values that will lead to individual leadership within each persons family, friends, and community.
  • To be mindful: To live in the moment and be aware of our actions.
This has been adapted from Hawaiian Shotokan with their permission.
http://hawaiianshotokan.com/Kapu_Ohana.html 




    

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...